Finally, the End is Near!!! I am not talking about THE end of the world but an end to our struggles with the deadly COVID-19 pandemic. Because, the COVID-19 Vaccine is on its way to us (And I mean literally, it is on the way as we are talking). According to an NDTV post on
Read More »
Why donate blood? Health benefits of Blood Donation
User Review( votes)
Have you ever felt that you have done something very selfless that you are proud of? This feeling of accomplishment that you have made a difference in someone’s life? If you have ever donated blood, then you have definitely felt this feeling!
Young people are expected to donate blood more but are at a ten year low. And that really made me think that I’m a young person and I have to admit I’ve never given blood.
Why not? I don’t have any specific reason. It’s just one of those things I’ve always wanted to do but have never got around to.
This thought made me write a blog on blood donation to understand why people are hesitant to not donate blood. Is there any specific reason behind this scenario or just lack of awareness!
I have asked my friends as well as colleagues if they have ever donated blood and let me tell you that most of them have not (Phew! It’s not only me).
Blood donation not only makes you feel good about helping others but is also beneficial for your health.
Health Benefits of Blood Donation
Giving blood is part of a heart-healthy lifestyle and donating on a regular basis has proved various health benefits. In fact, studies have shown that donating blood can be good for your heart not just your soul.
• A regular health check-up: One of the simple yet most effective benefits of blood donation is that each time you donate blood, you’ll get a wellness check-up that includes blood pressure check, pulse, temperature, iron count and cholesterol check.
We usually don’t get time for such frequent health check-ups. But while donating blood, you can use the results of this check-up to determine your cardiovascular risk factor as well as other possible health conditions.
• Reduce Chances of heart attacks: According to the studies in the American Journal of Epidemiology, blood donors are 33% less likely to suffer from cardiovascular disease and 88% less likely to suffer a heart attack.
• Donating leads to Calories burn: Even a single time blood donation can burn up to 650 calories because the body has to work hard to replenish itself. It is helpful for obese people who are at a higher risk of cardiovascular diseases and other health disorders.
• Replenish Blood: When you donate blood, your body replaces the blood volume within 48 hours. All the red blood cells that you have lost are completely replaced within four to eight weeks. This will help your body to stay healthy and work more efficiently and productively.
• Reduce chances of cancer: Various studies show that regular blood donation lowered the risks of cancers including liver, lung, colon, stomach and throat cancers.
Most people donate their whole blood. After donation, your blood is separated into various components (red blood cells, platelets and plasma) and distributed to local hospitals to save lives!
Apart from all these health benefits, the joy of saving lives is above everything! I hope this blog will encourage you all to donate blood (including myself) because there are millions of people, who are in need of blood. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below.
Read More Topics Regarding Health Care:-